- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling, plus 1 tablespoon
- 8 slices turkey bacon
- 2 1/2 pounds ground turkey breast
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- A handful cilantro, leaves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons zest and the juice of 2 limes
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (15 ounces), lightly drained
- 2 rounded tablespoon grainy mustard
- 8 slices pepper Jack cheese, from the deli counter
- 4 large sandwich-size English muffins, lightly toasted
Heat a drizzle of EVOO in a large nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat and add the turkey bacon. Cook until crisp, 3 minutes on each side, then remove to a plate.
While the bacon cooks, combine the turkey breast, green onions, cilantro, chipotle, paprika, salt and pepper, lime zest and juice. Mix the turkey breast with seasonings and form four sections, then from each section, two patties. Place the first four patties in the pan; cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from the skillet and place onto a plate and loosely cover with foil to keep warm
While the first batch of burgers cook, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO in a saucepot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and soften for 3-4 minutes, season with salt and pepper and then add Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, tomatoes and mustard. Let the sauce cook on low.
Add the second batch of burgers to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Top with a slice of cheese and two pieces bacon. Tent the skillet with foil and cook on low to moderate heat to melt the cheese, about 1 minute.
Place the burgers on the muffin bottoms. Top with the bacon double cheeseburgers, fire-roasted tomato sauce and English muffin top.