- 4 large baking potatoes (about 3 pounds), peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery from the heart with leaves attached, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 3 ears fresh corn, kernels scraped from the cob, or one box frozen corn kernels (10 ounces)
- 1/4 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- Hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- Four halibut fillets (6 ounces each), skinned
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
In a large pot of salted water, bring the potatoes to a boil. Cook until tender, 12-15 minutes. Drain and return to the dry pot.
While the potatoes are working, in a medium saucepan, heat 1/2 tablespoon EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook for 3 minutes. Add the onion, celery and thyme and cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add the corn and bell pepper; season with salt, black pepper and hot sauce. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the flour and stir for 3 minutes. Add the chicken broth and milk and reduce slightly, 2 minutes.
Mash the sour cream and chives into the potatoes; season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO over medium-high heat. Season the halibut with salt and pepper, add to the skillet and cook until golden, turning once, about 7 minutes total.
Serve the halibut with the corn gravy and potatoes; top with parsley.