- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 hangar steaks (about 1 pound each)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 limes, 1 cut in half, 2 cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 8 soft corn or flour tortillas
One hour before cooking, mix together the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin and coriander. Cover the steaks with the marinade and let them sit for an hour at room temperature.
Pre-heat an outdoor grill or barbecue to medium-high heat.
Grill the hangar steaks over a medium-hot fire for 8-9 minutes, until medium-rare.
Transfer the steaks to a cutting board and let them rest for 7 minutes, then cut them into thin slices.
While the steaks are resting, place a skillet, preferably cast iron, on the grill. When the skillet is very hot, add the onion slices and bell pepper slices and let them sizzle for 1 minute. Add the meat, cilantro, chili powder and salt and mix together. Squeeze one of the limes over the mixture and transfer to a serving bowl. Serve immediately with warm tortillas, hot sauce and fresh lime wedges.