- 6 pita rounds
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin or lamb
- Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 2 sprigs fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 2 pinches ground cinnamon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 box frozen spinach (10 ounces), defrosted and wrung dry in a towel
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 ounces)
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata black olives, chopped
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 pound orzo pasta
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
Cut the pita rounds into six wedges each with a knife or kitchen scissors. Scatter the wedges onto a baking sheet and spray with olive oil cooking spray. Season with salt and bake for 10 minutes, until golden. Remove the wedges from the oven and cool.
Heat a largen high-sided skillet with EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium-high heat, until the EVOO ripples. Add the beef or lamb, then brown and crumble the meat, about 5 minutes. Season the meat with salt, pepper, oregano and cinnamon. Add the onion, garlic and eggplant and cook for 6-7 minutes, then stir in the spinach and tomato sauce. Simmer for a few minutes and adjust the seasonings.
Chop the olives with lemon zest and parsley to make a Greek gremolata!
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the orzo, according to the package directions.
Drain the orzo and combine with the meat goulash. Top four bowls of goulash with feta cheese, pita chips and olive gremolata.