- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), about 4 turns of the pan
- 1/2 pound chorizo, casings removed and cut into bite-size dice
- 3/4 pound chicken cutlets or tenderloins, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound medium size shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or chopped
- 2 Piquillo peppers or 1 roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (eyeball it in your palm)
- 1 envelope saffron powder or a pinch of saffron threads
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups couscous
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- Zest of 1 lemon
- A generous handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
Heat EVOO over medium-high heat in a deep skillet – make sure to choose a pan with a tight-fitting lid. Add the chorizo, cook for one minute to render some of its fat, then add the chicken, bay leaf, thyme and onions.
Cook for two minutes to start softening the onions, then add shrimp, red pepper flakes, garlic, Piquillo or red peppers, turmeric and saffron, and cook until shrimp are just about cooked through, about three minutes.
Season with salt and pepper; then add chicken stock.
Bring stock to a boil, about one minute. Stir in couscous, peas and lemon zest. Cover and turn off heat. Let stand five minutes then fluff with fork. Remove bay and thyme stems, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.