- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 jalapeño peppers, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- 3 cups basic tomato sauce
- 8 farm fresh eggs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese
Place a skillet, preferably cast iron, on a grill over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and heat until just smoking. Add the chopped onion, garlic, jalapeños and chili flakes and cook until softened and light brown, about 7 minutes.
Add the tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Immediately lower the heat to a simmer and carefully crack the eggs one by one into the tomato sauce.
Cook until as set as desired. I like it when the whites set but the yolks are still quite runny, about 5-6 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and sprinkle with cheese. Allow to cool 3-4 minutes before serving.