- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices
Beat the eggs in a medium size bowl. Add the cheese and basil, stir to combine and set aside.
Place a large skillet, preferably cast iron, on a grill over a medium-hot fire. Add the olive oil and the onion, red bell pepper and mushrooms and cook, stirring regularly, until the vegetables soften, about 6 minutes. Add the sausage slices and cook for two minutes more.
Add the egg mixture and cook, stirring continuously, until they are just cooked through.
Note: 6 ounces drained canned mushrooms and 4 ounces jarred, roasted peppers can be substituted for the fresh mushrooms and red bell pepper. Diced ham can be substituted for the smoked sausage.