- 4 large Golden Delicious apples, halved crosswise and cored
- 1 pound chicken sausage
- 1/3 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped (a generous handful)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey mustard or Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 6 cups mixed greens
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
Grease a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish, then add the apples, cut-sides up.
In a medium size bowl, combine the sausage, parsley and maple syrup. Using a rubber spatula, stuff each apple half so that the sausage mixture mounds out of the top, then drizzle with the EVOO. If you need help with the oven, as a grown-up helper (GH) to bake the stufffed apples until tender and the sausage is cooked through, about 40-45 minutes.
In a salad bowl, combine the apple cider vinegar and mustard, then whisk in the 1/4 cup EVOO; season with salt and pepper. Toss the greens with the dressing and serve with the stuffed apples.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.