- 8 strips bacon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed (about a palmful)
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning
- A few grates fresh nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground dry mustard
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 sandwich-size English muffins, toasted
For the Chunky Cranberry Sauce:
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley (about a handful), chopped
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 can whole-berry cranberry sauce (14 ounces)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pre-heat the oven to 375ºF.
Lay the bacon out onto a slotted broiler pan and bake in the oven until golden and crispy, about 8 minutes.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. While the pan is heating up, combine the ground turkey, maple syrup, fennel seed, grill seasoning, nutmeg, sage and ground mustard in a large mixing bowl. Work the meat together with your hands, then divide it into four portions. Shape each portion of meat into a patty, pressing down slightly in the middle, and drop them into the hot pan. Cook the burgers until golden brown and cooked through, about 6 minutes per side.
While the burgers are cooking, make the cranberry sauce: In a small bowl, stir together the onion, parsley, orange zest, cranberry sauce and some salt and pepper.
When the burgers have about 1 minute left, place two slices of cheese over each patty and cover the pan loosely with foil to melt the cheese. Serve the burgers on top of the toasted English muffins with two slices of bacon and scoop of cranberry sauce on each.