- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces), drained
- 1 can chickpeas (14.5 ounces)
- A handful of cilantro, chopped, for garnish
In a medium size saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the rice, water and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. Simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes, until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
Once the rice is going, place a large skillet over medium-high heat with one turn of the pan EVOO and brown the chicken. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes.
Sprinkle with the curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the yogurt and simmer gently for 3 minutes, adding a splash of water if it needs to loosen up a little. Stir in some salt, pepper, the tomatoes and chickpeas, then remove from the heat.
Divide the rice and chicken mixture among individual bowls and garnish with the cilantro.