- 4 large baking potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3-4 ribs celery from the heart, with leafy greens, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- Grated peel and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock, divided
- 1 can diced or stewed tomatoes (14.5-ounces)
- 1 1/2 pounds thick cod fillets, cut into chunks
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
In a deep pot, add the potatoes and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, salt the water and cook the potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
In a Dutch oven or a large, deep skillet with a lid, heat the EVOO, three turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, garlic, bay leaf, thyme and lemon peel; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are softened, 7-8 minutes.
Pour in the wine and cook for 1 minute. Stir in 1/2 cup chicken stock and the tomatoes with their juice; bring to a simmer. Add the cod in a single layer, then cover and cook for 3 minutes. Gently stir in the shrimp; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until the cod and shrimp are just opaque throughout, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice; discard the bay leaf.
Mash the potatoes with the remaining 1/2 cup chicken stock and the vinegar and butter; season with salt.
To serve, mound the potatoes into shallow bowls. Ladle the stoup around the potatoes.