- 1 tablespoon vegetable, peanut or canola oil, divided
- 1/2 pound ham steak
- 1/4 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/4 bell pepper, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon (a few dashes) hot sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the ham steak for 3 minutes on each side to brown and heat through, then remove to a plate and cover to keep warm.
Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil to the pan and add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Season with salt and pepper, and cook 4-5 minutes, until soft.
Once the vegetables are tender, stir in the tomato paste and chili powder, and cook for a minute. Stir in the stock and simmer for a couple minutes more.
While the gravy is working, bring the milk and 1/2 cup water to a boil in a small pot. Add the polenta and whisk for 2-3 minutes, until thickened. Melt the butter into the polenta and stir in the hot sauce and cheese.
Remove from heat.
Top the ham steak with the chili gravy and serve the polenta alongside.