- 4 pieces turkey breast cutlet, pounded 1/4-inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- Flour, for dredging
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- A couple handfuls fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 3-4 ribs celery from the heart with leafy tops, finely chopped
- 4 scallions, whites and greens, chopped
- 1 Gala or Golden Delicious apple, chopped
- 1/4 pound small button mushrooms, wiped clean and very thinly sliced
- 2 lemons
- 5-6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 thin slices brioche or challah, toasted
- Softened butter, for toast, plus 3 tablespoons for gravy
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cloudy apple cider
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups turkey stock or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Season the turkey with salt and pepper and poultry seasoning. Set up a breading station of flour, then egg then breadcrumbs. Bread cutlets and reserve them.
Combine the parsley, celery, scallions, apple, mushrooms and dress with salt, pepper, the juice of 2 lemons, 3 tablespoons EVOO. Butter the toasted bread then chop into 1/4-inch dice. Toss the bread and thyme into salad. Dampen the stuffing salad a bit with apple cider or juice and toss to combine.
Melt 3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat in medium size saucepan. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, then whisk in the stock. Season with salt and pepper and Worcestershire sauce and thicken the stock a few minutes over medium-low heat.
Heat 2 tablespoons EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat; cook the cutlets for 10 minutes, turning once. If the pan is too small to cook all four, reserve two under foil and add another tablespoon EVOO and cook the remaining cutlets.
Serve the cutlets on raw stuffing salad and top with warm gravy.