- 2 extra large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup of lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 sticks butter or margarine (1 cup), softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unsifted flour
- 2 cups regular (not quick-cooking) oatmeal
- 1 package semi-sweet, mini chocolate chips (6 ounces) or regular size chocolate bits
- Chopped pecans or walnuts, to taste
Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
Put the eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar and butter in large bowl of mixer. Beat on medium speed until mixture is fluffy. Scrape down sides of bowl frequently witha rubber spatula. Mix in the vanilla.
In another bowl, stir together soda, baking powder, salt, flour and oatmeal. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Mix well.
Stir in the chocolate bits and nuts. The dough will be very stiff. Drop 1/4 cup heaping cupfuls of the dough onto a greased baking sheet. Put only eight mounds of dough on the sheet, staggering them about 3 inches apart on large cookie sheet. The cookies will spread as they bake.
Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown but still spongy when touched on top with fingertips. Don't overbake the cookies. They should be chewy in texture.