- 1 12-piece package manicotti shells
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1 can tomato sauce (28 ounces), divided
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the EVOO over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add the beef and brown it, breaking it up as it cooks, about 5 minutes. Stir in 2 cups of the tomato sauce, the brown sugar and the Worcestershire sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Drizzle a 9-inch x 13-inch casserole dish with 1/4 cup of the remaining tomato sauce. Stuff each manicotti shell with 1/4 cup of the meat mixture and place them side by side in the casserole dish.
Spoon the remaining tomato sauce over the manicotti and top with the cheese. Bake until golden and bubbly, about 15 minutes.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.