- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound mushrooms, quartered or thinly sliced
- 1 fresh or dried bay leaf
- 4-5 sprigs thyme, leaves stripped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups turkey, chopped or shredded
- 3-4 tablespoons butter
- 3-4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups turkey or chicken stock (32 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon grainy Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
Place a large pot of water over medium-high heat to boil. Once the water is boiling, add some salt and drop in the pasta. Cook to al dente, according to the package directions. Drain the cooked pasta and reserve it in the pot it was cooked in.
While the pasta is working, place a large skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the mushrooms, bay leaf and thyme to the pan and sauté until the mushrooms are golden brown, 6-7 minutes.
Season the veggies with salt and pepper and add the turkey to the pan. Cook to heat the turkey through.
Place a medium size saucepan over medium-high heat with the butter. Sprinkle the flour over the butter and cook for about 1 minute. Whisk the stock into the pan and simmer until thickened, 2-3 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce, mustard and cream to the gravy, season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
Add the turkey-veggie mixture and gravy to the pot of cooked pasta and toss thoroughly to combine. Turn the pasta out into a serving dish and garnish with the chives and parsley.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.