- 5 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 scallions, cleaned and trimmed
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 1 1/3 pounds ground beef sirloin
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning blend, such as McCormick brand Montreal Steak Seasoning, or coarse salt and black pepper
- 1/2 pound extra sharp white cheddar cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup mayonnaise or reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 4 crusty Kaiser rolls, split
- 4 leaves crisp romaine lettuce
Pre-heat grill pan over high heat.
In a medium pan, brown bacon over medium-high heat and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
Brush scallions with a little EVOO and grill on hot grill pan for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from heat to cool.
Combine ground beef with Worcestershire sauce and steak seasoning or salt and pepper. Divide meat into four equal parts.
Combine cheese crumbles and cooked bacon. Take a quarter of the meat in your hand and make a well in the center of it. Pile in the cheese and bacon, then carefully form the burger around the cheese and bacon filling. Make sure the fillings are completely covered with meat.
When all four patties are formed, drizzle burgers with EVOO and place on hot grill pan. Cook two minutes on each side over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook burgers 7-8 minutes longer, turning occasionally. Do not press down on burgers as they cook. Transfer burgers to a plate and let them rest 5-6 minutes before serving.
Chop cooled, grilled green onions and add to a food processor. Add mayonnaise and cumin to the food processor and pulse. Season with salt and pepper, to your taste.
Pile burgers on crusty buns and top with crisp lettuce leaves and a slather of green onion mayonnaise. As you bite into the burgers, you will find a smoky, cheesy surprise at the center!