- 2 boxes chopped frozen spinach (10 ounces each)
- 1 box frozen artichoke hearts
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A pinch of ground nutmeg, or to taste
- 1 cup Gorgonzola crumbles
- 1 1/2 cups shredded (a little larger than grated, available in tubs) Asiago or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Thick sesame bread sticks, for dipping
- Celery hearts, trimmed for dipping
- Pita crisps with Parmesan and herbs, such as Stacy's brand
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
Defrost the spinach for 10 minutes on the defrost setting in the microwave, then drain well by wringing out in dish towel. Defrost the artichokes as well, 6 minutes on defrost in the microwave, then wring out and finely chop.
Heat a saucepot with butter over medium to medium-high heat. Add the garlic to the melted butter and stir for 1-2 minutes, then sprinkle in the flour and combine for 1 minute more. Whisk in the stock and milk and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Thicken for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and melt in the Gorgonzola. Stir in the spinach and artichokes and half of the shredded cheese, then transfer to a small casserole and top with the remaining cheese. Brown and bubble in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Serve with bread sticks, celery hearts and pita crisps for dipping.