- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus extra for drizzling, divided
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 small bulbs fennel, fronds removed and discarded, bulb cored and thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced on a bias
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, 2 thinly sliced, 1 peeled and left whole, divided
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fish stock or clam juice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 can whole tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 8 cod filets (about 4 ounces each), skin removed
- 1 loaf ciabatta, split in half lengthwise and cut into four chunks
- 2 tablespoons tarragon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic drizzle (optional)
Pre-heat oven to 375ºF.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the onion, fennel, celery, bay leaves and sliced garlic to the pan, and season with salt and pepper. Cook the veggies until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the fish stock and white wine to the pan and cook until reduced, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bring to a bubble.
Meanwhile, place another large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Spread the 8 pieces of prosciutto out on the counter and place one cod filet on each piece. Season the fish filets with salt, pepper and a tiny drizzle of EVOO then roll the fish up in the prosciutto.
Place the wrapped filets into the hot pan seam side down and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the fish to the oven until cooked through, about 5 minutes more.
At the same time that the fish goes into the oven, toss in the loaf of ciabatta to toast it. When the ciabatta comes out of the oven, rub the cut sides with the clove of garlic and drizzle them lightly with EVOO.
When the fish is just about done, drop the shrimp into the pot with the tomatoes and veggies, and simmer until the shrimp are pink, about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat, discard the bay leaves and stir in the herbs.
To serve, lay a piece of toasted bread down into each bowl and top each with a couple of scoops of veggie stew. Lay two cod filets onto each plate and drizzle with some of the balsamic drizzle, if using.