- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) (4 turns around the pan)
- 4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 scallions, sliced very thinly on an angle
- 6 vine ripe tomatoes, diced
- Coarse salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound fresh pasta - your choice, such as penne rigate or fusilli
- 20 leaves fresh basil, roughly cut or torn
Heat EVOO in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and gently sautè until garlic speaks by sizzling in oil. Add scallions and saute, 2 or 3 minutes more. Add tomatoes and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer.
Bring salted water to a boil and cook fresh pasta until al dente. Drain well.
Stir basil into sauce. Bring heat back up to medium. Add pasta to sauce pan and toss until all ingredients are combined and hot.
Serve immediately with a green salad or Italian chunked vegetable salad and crusty bread.
Variation: Add bits of fresh mozzarella to the dish when the pasta is being tossed with sauce.