- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, finely diced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves, fresh or dried
- 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken stock (a couple of splashes)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
- Coarse salt and black pepper, to taste
- A handful of flat leaf parsely, chopped
- 1 pound penne rigate, cooked to al dente
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish (optional)
Heat a deep skillet or pot over medium heat. Add the EVOO and garlic and sauté, until the garlic sizzles.
Add the zucchini, onion, carrot and bay leaves. Cover and cook, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the zucchini is tender and the onions are translucent.
Remove the cover and add the stock. Stir up any good gunk from the bottom of the pot. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper and parsley and bring to a bubble.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer until ready to serve. Combine the sauce with the pasta and garnish with the sliced scallions.