- 2 cups rice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 pound ground chicken
- 1 medium onion, cut into small dice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can black beans (15.5 ounces), rinsed and drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes with chilies (15.5 ounces)
- 1 box frozen corn, defrosted
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Position a rack in the center of the oven and pre-heat it to 350ºF.
In a medium size saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the rice, 2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. Simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes, until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
While the rice is cooking, place a large skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the chicken to the pan, season with salt and pepper and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until golden brown, about 6-7 minutes.
Scoot everything in the pan over to one side of the skillet and add in the onion and garlic. Cook until the onion is soft and the garlic is slightly golden, about 5 minutes. Add in the can of drained black beans, tomatoes and corn.
Once the chicken mixture is done and the veggies and beans are incorporated, toss in the cooked rice and stir to combine. Pour everything out into an 8-inch x 8-inch casserole dish and sprinkle with the cheese.
Bake in the oven until heated through and the cheese is golden and bubbly.