- 4 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3-1/2 cup milk or half-and-half
- 8 ounces ripe Taleggio, Camembert or Brie cheese, cut into chunks
- 2 pounds 1-inch-thick flatiron steak, cut into 4 portions
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO),for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1/3 cup flat leaf parsley (a generous handful), finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons drained capers or 5-6 caper berries, halved
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bunch arugula (3-4 cups)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
In a medium size pot, add the potatoes and enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil, add salt and cook until tender, 12-15 minutes. Drain, return the potatoes to the pot and mash with enough milk for your desired consistency. Mash in the cheese; season with salt and pepper.
Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat until hot. Drizzle the steaks with EVOO, add to the pan and cook for 8 minutes for medium-rare doneness; season with salt and pepper.
In a small skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and paprika and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute, then whisk in the beef broth. Stir in the parsley, capers and Worcestershire sauce. Remove from the heat; season with pepper.
Dress the arugula with the lemon juice, a little EVOO, salt and pepper.
Top the steaks with the gravy and greens. Serve with the potatoes.