- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound pappardelle or fettuccine pasta
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pounds cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1/2 cup marsala wine
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup chopped flat leaf parsley (a couple of generous handfuls)
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2 cups baby spinach, coarsely chopped
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain.
While the pasta is working, in a large, deep skillet, heat the EVOO, 4 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until they begin to darken, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the marsala and cook until reduced slightly, about 1 minute. Stir in the vegetable broth and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in the butter until melted, add the parsley and toss.
Add the pasta and cheese to the sauce and toss for 1 minute; season with salt and pepper. Top with the spinach.