- 4 Delmonico steaks, 1-inch thick (8-10 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Steak seasoning blend, such as McCormick brand Montreal Steak Seasoning, or coarse salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 large yellow skinned onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (eyeball it)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small white boiling onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry cooking sherry (eyeball it)
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce (8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
- Black pepper
Heat a heavy grill pan or griddle pan over high heat. Wipe hot grill or griddle with EVOO. Cook steaks six minutes on each side for medium doneness, eight minutes for medium-well. Season steaks with steak seasoning or salt and pepper and remove to a warm platter to allow the meat to rest.
Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add EVOO, about one turn of the pan, and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-12 minutes, until onions are soft and sweet. Add balsamic vinegar to the pan and turn onions in vinegar until vinegar cooks away and glazes onions a deep brown color, 3-5 minutes.
Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add EVOO, a half turn of the pan, garlic and onions and sauté five minutes until onion bits are tender. Add sherry to the pan and combine with onions. Stir in tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce and season with black pepper.
To serve, top steaks with onions and drizzle a little steak sauce down over the top, reserving half of the sauce to pass at table.