- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 stalks celery, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup hot sauce (add more if you want more of a kick!)
- 1 box cornbread mix, such as Jiffy brand
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
Preheat oven to 375º F.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the chopped chicken chunks, season with salt and pepper and sauté until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet and reserve on a plate.
Return the skillet to medium-high heat and add another turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 5-6 minutes.
When the veggies are tender, push them all to the edge of the pan and add the butter to the skillet. Sprinkle the flour over the melted butter and cook for about 1 minute. Add the stock and hot sauce to the pan and stir to combine. Bring up to a bubble, add the chicken back to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and simmer the sauce until thickened, 2-3 minutes.
While the sauce is simmering, in a medium-size mixing bowl, prepare the cornbread according to package directions, using water as the liquid and folding in the blue cheese crumbles.
Transfer the buffalo chicken mixture to a casserole dish and drop the blue cheese cornbread batter on top in spoonfuls. Pop the casserole into the oven and bake until the cornbread is golden brown and filling is bubbling, about 20 minutes.