- 2 packages corned beef in brine
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 6 carrots, peeled and halved across
- Celery heart, trimmed and halved across
- 4 small to medium yellow onions, halved
- 6 Russet potatoes, peeled, or whole Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1 head cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
In a large Dutch oven, place the corned beef, bay leaves and brine from the packages and cook, according to the package directions.
About 45 minutes before the meat is done, add the carrots, celery heart, onions and potatoes to another Dutch oven. Add 2 inches of water, a drizzle of EVOO, some salt and a sprinkle of sugar. Top with the cabbage, another drizzle of EVOO, salt and another sprinkle of sugar. Cover the pot, bring to a boil, reduce to low and steam for 45 minutes. Platter the vegetables alongside sliced corned beef.