- 3/4 pound ground sirloin
- 3/4 pound ground veal
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice or nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 4 portabello mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 4 plain Kaiser or ciabatta rolls
In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground meats with the garlic, spices, salt and pepper and chopped parsley. Score the meat into four equal portions, then form four patties.
Pre-heat a large nonstick skillet with 1 tablespoon EVOO. Add the patties to the hot skillet and cook about 3-4 minutes per side.
Meanwhile, heat another large skillet over high heat with the remaining EVOO. Let the EVOO get hot, then add the mushrooms and sauté until golden brown. Toss in the thyme and douse the mushrooms with the Marsala. Cook until reduced.
While the burgers and mushrooms are cooking, spilt the rolls and toast them under the broiler.
To assemble, place a patty inside each bun and top each burger with some Marsala mushrooms. Serve with fries alongside.