- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds (a generous handful)
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 pound green beans (a couple of generous handfuls), sliced on an angle into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 pound Spanish chorizo sausage, chopped
- One can diced tomatoes with chiles (14.5 ounces)
- 4 thick fillets of cod or other firm white fish (6 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika or sweet smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the almonds; toast for 2 minutes. Add the rice; toast for 2 more minutes. Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a boil, then cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer for 13 minutes. Add the green beans and cook for 5 minutes longer. Fluff the rice with a fork.
While the rice is cooking, in a small saucepan, heat a drizzle of EVOO over medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook until the fat is rendered, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and bring to a simmer, then lower the heat to low.
Season the cod with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the paprika and parsley on each side of the fish fillets. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the cod and cook, turning once, until just firm and opaque, 6-8 minutes.
Top the cod with the chorizo-tomato mixture and serve with the green bean rice.