- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/3 cup orzo
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 cup brown or white rice, such as Texmati brand
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock or broth, regular or low sodium
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bunches fresh spinach, chopped (about 4 cups) or 1 box frozen chopped spinach (10 ounces), defrosted
- 3/4-1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Place a medium size pot over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the orzo to the pan and toast until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.
Add the garlic to the pan and continue cooking for another 30 seconds. Add the rice, stock, salt and pepper to the pan and bring up to a bubble. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
Fluff the finished rice with a fork and fold in the spinach and cheese.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.