- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, chopped into bite-size pieces
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup regular or honey-roasted cashews
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced on a bias
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of oil, about 2 tablespoons. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. When the pan is very hot, add in the meat and stir-fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove the meat from the pan and reserve on a plate.
Add the bell pepper, onion, garlic and ginger to the skillet and stir-fry until tender, 3-4 minutes. While that’s cooking up, stir together the hot sauce, tamari, hoisin sauce, orange marmalade and stock in a small bowl.
When the veggies are tender, return the chicken to the skillet and pour the sauce over everything. Add the cashews to the skillet, toss to coat and continue cooking until the sauce thickens up, about 1 minute.
Serve the stir-fry over brown rice, garnished with scallions.