- 1 firm eggplant, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for brushing
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup filtered or spring water
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 cups lightly crushed pita chips
- One can chickpeas (15.5 ounces), rinsed
- 1 cup drained hot giardiniera (pickled vegetable salad), chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
Pre-heat a grill or grill pan until hot. Brush the eggplant slices with EVOO, place on the grill and cook, turning once, for 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a cutting board to cool, then cut into 1/2-inch chunks.
Using a food processor, puree the water, tahini, garlic, lemon juice and hot sauce. With the machine on, add the remaining 1/4 cup EVOO.
In a salad bowl, combine the eggplant, pita chips, chickpeas, giardiniera, cucumber, onion and parsley. Toss with the dressing.