- Salt and pepper
- 2 packages gnocchi (10 ounces each)
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound baby spinach, stems discarded
- Ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese (a generous handful), plus more to pass around the table
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the gnocchi and cook until they float to the top, 3 minutes. Drain, reserving a ladleful of the pasta cooking water.
In a large skillet, cook the garlic in the EVOO over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
Add the spinach to the oil in the skillet and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir in the reserved pasta water, then stir in the gnocchi and cheese. Serve in shallow bowls; top with the garlic chips. Pass more cheese around the table.