- 2 boxes corn muffin mix, 8 1/2 ounces each, such as Jiffy brand
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (eyeball it in your palm)
- 2 teaspoons cumin (eyeball it)
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper sauce, such as Frank's Red Hot
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 8 jumbo pork or beef franks
- 1 bag reduced fat potato chips, such as Cape Cod brand or Terra brand Garlic and Onion flavor Yukon chips
Pre-heat the oven to 425°F.
In a shallow dish, combine the muffin mix with flour, then stir in the eggs, milk and melted butter. Season the mix with the chili powder, cumin, cayenne and scallions. The batter will be a thick, sticky biscuit dough.
Place a hot dog in the bowl of batter and swoosh it around to coat it. Remove the coated dog to a nonstick cookie sheet and use your fingers to spread the batter on any exposed dog spots. Don't coat it too thick, just shy of a half-inch should do the trick. If it's too thick, it will just slide off the dog while it's baking, leaving the dog exposed. If that happens don't sweat it, they will still taste great. Repeat until all eight dogs are coated. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until evenly deep brown all over.