- 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard, divided
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 small head green cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
In a medium-size saucepot, bring the cider vinegar, sugar, celery seed, mustard seed, 1/2 tablespoon ground mustard, turmeric, and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil.
Add the cabbage, onion, and bell pepper to the boiling vinegar mixture and cook for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Pour the mixture into a large bowl, toss with the EVOO and let cool in the fridge. The Chow-Chow can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks in a sealed container.