- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3-4 ribs celery from the heart, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 stems fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can cannellini beans (15 ounces )
- 1 can chickpeas (15 ounces )
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup mini penne with lines or ditalini
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into thirds on an angle
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- A handful fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- Grated Romano cheese, for topping
Heat the EVOO in a soup pot over medium to medium-high heat. Add the carrot, celery, onion, garlic, rosemary, bay leaf, salt and pepper, to taste. Sauté until the vegetables are soft, about 7-8 minutes. Stir in the cannellini beans, chickpeas and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add the stock and water, then cover and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and let simmer in the soup for 5 minutes, then add the green beans and simmer for 3-4 minutes more.
Turn off the heat. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice and the parsley. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if necessary. Discard the rosemary stems.
To serve, ladle the soup into shallow bowls and garnish with cheese.