- 1 Japanese eggplant, sliced on an angle in half-inch thick slices
- 1 small zucchini, sliced on an angle in 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 red pepper, cut in quarters, lengthwise
- 1 small red onion, cut into 4 slices
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices crusty peasant style bread, cut 1/2-inch thick
- 4 pieces red leaf lettuce
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- A few drops hot sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and skin removed
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
Using a pastry brush, brush EVOO on the vegetable slices and the portobello mushrooms. Season them with salt and pepper. Place vegetables on a hot grill and cook until they are tender.
Once vegetables are done, brush sliced bread with EVOO and grill on both sides.
To make mayonnaise, combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse.
To assemble, slice portobellos into quarter-inch slices, spread both sides of the grilled bread with herbed mayonnaise, then top with one slice each of grilled vegetables and a quarter of the mushrooms. Finish off with lettuce and top with remaining piece of bread.