- 2 pork tenderloins (1 package), trimmed of silver skin, about 1 1/2-1 3/4 pounds
- Salt and pepper
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup gorgonzola crumbles
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted walnut pieces (a generous handful)
- 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for liberal drizzling
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds (2/3 palmful)
- Balsamic drizzle
Note: you will need kitchen twine for this recipe.
Pre-heat a grill pan, large griddle or outdoor grill to medium-high heat.
Cut into and across the tenderloins lengthwise to open them. Place the meat under parchment or plastic wrap and pound it out using a mallet or heavy small skillet to just shy of a half-inch thick. Season the pork with salt and pepper on the exposed side.
Combine the shallots with cheese, toasted nuts, thyme and lemon zest. Evenly distribute half of the mixture onto each pork loin. Roll the pork tenderloins up and secure the rolls with kitchen twine. Generously coat the meat with EVOO and season liberally with salt, pepper and the fennel seeds.
Grill the pork tenderloins for 15 minutes on each side, then let the meat rest under loose foil for 10 minutes before slicing. Remove the twine, slice each pork loin into 8 medallions and serve garnished with some balsamic drizzle.