- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound bulk sweet sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- One can cannellini beans (15.5-ounces)
- 2 bunches escarole, coarsely shredded
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- One container chicken stock, 32-ounce container (4 cups)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat penne pasta or ditalini pasta
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Grated Pecorino Romano cheese, for passing around the table
In a soup pot, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 2 minutes, then stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the beans and escarole; season with salt, pepper and a little nutmeg. Add the chicken stock and 2 cups water, cover and bring to a boil.
Uncover the pot, stir in the pasta, lower the heat and cook until the pasta is al dente, 6-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon peel. Top with lots of cheese.