- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (4-5 potatoes), peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 small chili peppers, such as red Fresno, jalapeño or serrano varieties
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2-3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder, such as Gerhardt's brand
- 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin (a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander (a palmful)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2-3 cups turkey or chicken stock
- 2 cups shredded sharp yellow cheddar cheese
Add the potatoes to a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Salt the water and cook until tender, about 12-15 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the hot pot. Add the zest, butter, creme fraiche or sour cream and salt, pepper and nutmeg, to taste.
While the potatoes are coming to a boil, heat a chili pot with EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium-high to high heat. Add the turkey and brown, then add in the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Chop the peppers, then add them, along with the garlic, to the turkey. Stir in the spices and add salt and pepper, to taste. Cook for 8-10 minutes, then add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the stock and simmer a few minutes to thicken and combine the flavors.
Pre-heat the broiler.
Transfer the chili to a casserole dish. Spread the potatoes over the top and cover with cheddar cheese. Brown under the broiler until golden and serve.