- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef, pork and veal mix
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- One can Italian crushed tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
- 1 handful basil leaves, shredded or torn
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- A few grates of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 4 hamburger or ciabatta rolls
In a large bowl, season the meat with plenty of salt and pepper. Form the meat into four patties that are thinner in the middle for more even cooking. Drizzle with EVOO.
In a saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more, then stir in the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes; stir in the basil.
In a large skillet, heat a drizzle of EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook, turning once, until medium-rare, 7-8 minutes.
While the patties are cooking, in a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute, then whisk in the milk. Season with salt, pepper and the nutmeg, then cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the ricotta and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
Spoon some red sauce on the roll bottoms, then top with the patties. Dollop the cheese sauce on the patties and set the roll tops in place.