- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 8 links fresh lamb sausage or other fresh sausage from the butcher counter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano (1/3 palmful)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can petite fire-roasted diced tomatoes (15 ounces), slightly drained
- 1 can butter beans, such as Furmano’s brand (15 ounces), rinsed and drained well
- Pita or other flat bread
- 6 cups spinach, loosely packed, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup black pitted kalamata olives, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
Pre-heat the oven to 450˚F.
Heat a large cast-iron or ovensafe skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon EVOO, one turn of the pan, then add the sausage. Brown the links a few minutes on each side to crisp the casings, then remove to a plate.
Add another tablespoon EVOO, one turn of the pan, along with the onion and garlic, then season with oregano, salt and pepper. Cook the onion to soften, 6-7 minutes, then add the tomatoes and beans and stir to combine.
Nestle the reserved sausages back in the pan and transfer to the oven for 10 minutes to finish cooking the sausages through. Wrap the pita or flat breads in foil and place in the oven for 2-3 minutes before removing the sausages.
Meanwhile, combine the spinach with feta and olives. Dress with the lemon juice and remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO and black pepper.
Garnish the sausage and beans with the parsley and serve with spinach salad and warm bread alongside.