- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika (a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 2 ripe Haas avocados
- Juice of 1 lime or 1/2 lemon
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can diced, fire-roasted tomatoes (15 ounces), drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 4 crusty, cornmeal-topped Kaiser rolls, split
- Flavored specialty corn or blue corn chips
Heat a griddle pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Combine the remaining spices in a small bowl and rub all over the chicken. Wash your hands after handling the raw poultry.
Drizzle the griddle or skillet with a tablespoon of EVOO. Cook the chicken for 12 minutes, turning once. Remove the chicken from the pan and let cool until it's cool enough enough to handle, then slice each piece on an angle into four pieces.
Halve and pit the avocados and dress them with the lime or lemon juice. Cut each avocado half into four pieces and layer between the chicken slices.
In a small skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon EVOO, a turn of the pan. Add the onion, jalapeño peppers and garlic and sauté a few minutes to soften. Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and mix in the cilantro.
Place the lettuce on the bun bottoms, then top with the chicken and warm salsa and set the bun tops in place. Serve with a few chips alongside.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.