- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus extra for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms and stems, cleaned and finely chopped in food processor
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry cooking sherry (2 splashes)
- 4 slices of turkey (about 4 cups)
- 8 ounces chicken paté, available in the specialty cheese case at larger markets
- 1 sheet frozen prepared puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg, beaten with a splash of water
Pre-heat the oven to 425˚F.
Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add the EVOO, one turn of the pan, butter, shallot and chopped mushrooms. Sauté for 5 minutes and season with salt and pepper. Add the sherry to the pan and let the liquid evaporate. Remove from the heat.
In a nonstick skillet over high heat, sear the turkey for 2 minutes on each side in a drizzle of EVOO. Remove from the heat and season the meat with salt and pepper.
Cut the paté into four pieces horizontally. Unfold the puff pastry sheet onto a cutting board and cut into quarters with a sharp knife. Roll each piece of dough into a 10-inch x 6-inch rectangle.
On each rectangle of dough, place a quarter of the cooked mushrooms. Top with a slice of paté and one slice of turkey. Wrap the dough up and over the meat, then pinch and seal the dough with egg wash and trim any excess. (You can use the leftover dough bits to make decorative garnishes for the tops.) Turn the wrapped Wellingtons over, seam-side down, and brush all over with egg wash. Use the egg wash as “glue” to affix dough garnishes.
Bake the Turkey Wellingtons on a baking sheet for 30-35 minutes, until golden. Let stand for 5 minutes, then serve.