- 1 loaf crusty bread, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 6-8 large Italian anchovy fillets
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted oil-cured olives
- 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
Heat the oven to 325°F. Arrange the bread on baking sheets in a single layer. Toast in the oven until evenly golden, 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
Heat the EVOO in a skillet with tight fitting lid over medium to medium-high heat. Add the anchovies and stir to melt into the oil. When they are broken up and melted, stir in the garlic, red pepper flakes, tomatoes, capers and olives and cover the pan. Cook 7-8 minutes more to burst the tomatoes, then uncover. Mash any stray tomatoes with a potato masher or wooden spoon and fold in the parsley. Transfer the sauce to a serving bowl and serve with the toasts.