- 2 large pieces chicken breast, bone-in, skin-on, halved crosswise
- 4 pieces dark meat chicken, bone-in, skin on, thighs and/or legs
- Salt and pepper
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds (optional)
- 4 small ribs celery and leafy tops from the heart, chopped
- 2 cubanelle peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (1/3 palmful)
- 1 cup pitted Sicilian olives
- 6-8 small ripe plum tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 1 handful large golden raisins (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups Nero D’Avola Sicilian red wine or other spicy red wine
- 6 cups arugula or baby arugula
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 loaf crusty bread, such as ciabatta
Pre-heat a cast iron skillet to medium-high heat and the oven to 400˚F.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper liberally on both sides. Heat 1 tablespoon EVOO in the skillet, one turn of the pan. When the oil smokes, add the chicken and brown for a few minutes on each side, then remove and turn the heat down a bit.
Add some more EVOO to the pan, two turns of the pan, then add the fennel seeds, about 2/3 palmful, and stir. Add the celery, peppers and onion, season with salt and pepper and soften, 3-4 minutes. Then add the garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté for 2 minutes more.
Add the tomatoes and golden raisins if using, stir to combine, then stir in the wine to deglaze the pan. Set the chicken back on top of the pan and transfer to the oven.
Roast for 15 minutes, or until the juices run clear. Serve the chicken and vegetables from the pan at the table and pass the arugula dressed with lemon juice, the remaining EVOO, salt and pepper along with crusty bread for mopping.