- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound portabello mushroom caps, wiped clean and diced into small, bite-size pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (eyeball it)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 ounces)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 crusty rolls, regular or whole grain, split, toasted and lightly buttered
- Sliced or chopped dill pickles, for garnish
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with one turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until golden brown, 7-8 minutes.
Add the onion, garlic and bell pepper to the pan and season liberally with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until the veggies are tender, 5-6 minutes more. Add the tomato paste to the pan and cook for 1 minute.
In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce. Add the mixture to the skillet and simmer until thickened and saucy.
Pile the Sloppy Joe mixture onto toasted, buttered bun bottoms and top with pickles and bun tops.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.