- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup bulgur
- 2 handfuls pine nuts or slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced, divided
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, freshly chopped
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, freshly chopped
- 4 scallions, whites and greens, chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 English (seedless) cucumber, peeled and chopped
In a small pot, add the water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Pour the bulgur into a bowl, douse it with the boiling water and let stand for 15 minutes.
Put the nuts in a small skillet over low heat and lightly toast. Remove from the heat and let cool.
In a salad bowl, combine the cumin and the zest and juice of the lemons. Whisk in the EVOO. Add the bulgur, herbs, scallions, tomatoes, cucumber and salt, to taste. Toss together, let stand a few minutes, adjust the seasonings and toss again before serving.