- 4 pieces skinless, boneless chicken or turkey breast cutlets
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pound mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 stems fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Four 3/4-inch-thick slices pullman-style bread, toasted
- 1 cup watercress leaves, coarsely chopped
Season the chicken with salt, pepper and the poultry seasoning. In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, one turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
Add 3 tablespoons butter to the skillet and lower the heat to medium. Add the mushrooms and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the shallot and cook for 2 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat to low and stir in the cream, tarragon and mustard. Cook until the gravy thickens, 1-2 minutes.
Lightly brush the toast with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and set the chicken cutlets on top. Cover with the gravy and watercress.