For the sauce:
- 1 bag fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup red wine or port or 100% cranberry juice
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/2-1 cup sugar
For the burgers:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons each parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 rounded tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 8 slices extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
- 4 large sandwich-size English muffins, toasted
- Butter, for toasted muffins
- 8 pieces Bibb or leaf lettuce
Combine the cranberries, wine, juice and sugar in a pot. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until the cranberries pop. Reduce to thicken the sauce, about 15 minutes or so. Allow the sauce to cool.
Combine the turkey with the herbs, shallot, garlic, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper and form into four large patties. Add 1 tablespoon EVOO to a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook the patties for 5-6 minutes on each side. During the last minute of cook time, cover the burgers with cheese and tent the pan with foil to melt the cheese.
Lightly butter the toasted sandwich-size English muffins and set the burgers on top. Top with slices of lettuce and lots of cranberry sauce, then set the muffin tops in place.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.